Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Q & A: Seasickness

Q: Do you ever get seasick?

Wayne: Interestingly, I am prone to motion sickness, but have never been seasick. I have learned how to avoid and/or reduce the effect of motion. After a few days on the boat, we actually get used to the motion, but I am also aware that I could still get seasick if conditions were bad enough (we hope to avoid those conditions!). Michele can actually go down in the cabin and read in rough seas!

Michele: I got seasick once, when we went deep sea fishing with Wayne’s grandfather and his brother, Greg. I never want to experience that again!

That said, I also know I could get seasick again under the right (or wrong) conditions. But just as I learned many years ago - the hard way - not to look out the side windows while riding in a car on a curvy mountain road, there are things we do to avoid seasickness. For instance, look at the horizon, do not watch the waves, and spend minimal time in the cabin when it’s rough. I can be in the cabin if I lie down and close my eyes, though. And Wayne is right - I can go down in the cabin and read if it isn’t too rough. If I must be down below for any length of time under rough conditions, I’ll sometimes pop a piece of ginger gum as a preventive measure; I have also used Motion-Eaze, an herbal formula that you dab behind your ears, which works really well. We have other remedies and preventatives, including Sea Bands (acupressure bands for the wrists), but have not felt the need to use any of them yet. We don't use Dramamine or the like.

Our friends, Claus and Rachael, say seasickness is mostly psychological.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.