Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Trip burnout? Bulb burnout?


Wednesday, Oct. 10 - This afternoon as we approached Solomon's Island, a highly recommended destination in the Chesapeake Bay, Wayne asked me what I wanted to do there after we anchored. Honestly? Nothing. I just wanted to stay on the boat. So we dinghy to shore, walk around town, and return to the boat hungry and too tired to make dinner. No thanks - that routine is getting old. We have been to so many great places and I am sure this is a great place to visit as well, but...I'm tired. I am even tired of taking photos, as you may have noticed by the lack of new ones on the blog recently. If I could snap my fingers and be in Punta Gorda tomorrow, I would not hesitate. Don't get me wrong - I’m certainly not desperate to be done with the trip - I still enjoy it, but the novelty has worn off, the finish line is in sight, and I will be ready when the time comes.

So what did we do for fun? I got to go up to the top of the mast!
Wayne thought our anchor light was burned out, and going up is probably his least favorite thing to do. I, on the other hand, have been waiting for the opportunity, so I grabbed the new bulb and our little camera and Wayne helped me into the bosun's chair (harness). He then hoisted me up, very carefully, using the electric winch.

It wasn't much fun being at the top of the mast when a power boat zoomed by, leaving a wake that rocked the boat. 

I got to the top and realized I wasn’t tall enough to reach up and change the bulb, but before Wayne lowered me down I spent a few minutes enjoying the view from 62' up and took some photos. I then hoisted Wayne up and he changed the bulb, which was not even burned out after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.