Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

In Gananoque


Last night we anchored in the Thousand Islands, just off Thwartway Island. From here on, we plan to slow down - easier said than done when you've been like a perpetual motion machine. It's like trying to stop one of those 700' freighters. We'll be in Montreal before the weekend and will spend a couple days there, and after that, Quebec City, where we will do the same.

Our plan was to anchor again tonight after spending our day in Gananoque, Quebec, but there was no transient dockage available and we had to spend the night. We need to do laundry, pick up some provisions and charts, study up on the locks, currents, and tides ahead of us, clean the boat, get online for a host of reasons, etc. And I'd just like wander around town and stretch my legs. So here we're docked. The two main reasons we'd rather anchor are: the peace and tranquility of anchoring and the expense of docking (about $65 here). But you can't put a price on marital harmony, and if you don't have that you can forget about the peace and tranquility stuff.
So I'm sitting at a picnic table under a tree overlooking the marina while my laundry does its thing. Talk about sticker shock! Granted, it has been awhile since I've used a coin operated laundry facility - ok, nearly 30 years, back when all you needed was a few quarters - but jeepers! $2.00 a load, $4.00 if you want 'em dried! Canadian $$, but still...!

I am so jealous of people who are cruising with their pets, and you'd be surprised how many are. If someone came up to me with a dog or cat and asked if I'd like to take them, I don't think I would hesitate as long as the pet was agreeable to being on a boat (I hope Diana M. didn't hear me say that or she will probably have one waiting for us on the dock when we get up in the morning).

Later...I finished my laundry and went to the grocery store. Got in a couple miles of walking, and it felt good.

Oh, and note to selves: don't wait three weeks to do laundry (I should have taken you up on your offer, Diane).



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.