Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another night passage

First of all, thank you for reading our blog. It means a lot to us that people care enough to follow our journey this way, especially knowing you have more important things to do. Blogging has turned out to be a really great way for us to communicate. We feel less lonely sharing the experience with you, and for loved ones back home, it makes us seem not so far away.

It's 12:15 a.m. and I am on watch while Wayne gets a few hours of sleep. Or maybe I should say TRIES to get a few hours of sleep. I've had to wake him twice. The first time I noticed on radar that there was a 736' ship just on the other side of our waypoint, headed directly towards us. Novice that I am, I'm not about to make any navigational decisions, so Wayne got up and changed our course. I think I hit a wrong button or something a while later while making adjustments for the next waypoint, so I had to get him up again. He takes it all in stride.

So that's pretty much all I do on watch - keep an eye on the radar, look around for other boats too small to show up on radar, and make sure Otto Pilot is keeping us on course. All I need to do is make adjustments to it as necessary. And wake Wayne when the situation calls for it. My constant attention isn't required, so I've also been reading and doing Sudoku puzzles. The concentration needed to do the puzzles helps keep me awake when I get drowsy reading, although that hasn't been a problem tonight.

Later...It's 10:30 in the morning now. We anchored near Wolfe Island at 6:30 this morning and slept until 10:00. Now we're ready for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.