Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Monday, August 13, 2007

August 13


For weeks I've had an entry on my calendar, "meteor shower dusk until dawn on the 13th northeast horizon." We missed the peak shower time because of clouds and the lights in the marina, but now it's the evening of the 13th and I am ready.

August 13 is significant for another reason: Three years ago today, Hurricane Charley hit our home in Punta Gorda, causing us over $110,000 in damage and $13 billion statewide. I muse over all that has happened since then and how, even six months afterwards, we still wondered if the repairs would ever be completed.

We all have hurricanes in our lives, and yes, we do finally recover from the vast majority of them, but in the meantime we wonder if we'll ever have a new roof over our heads or be finished picking up the pieces of the old one. We are never the same afterwards, but hopefully wiser, stronger, with reorganized priorities and a greater focus on our Lord. He created us the first time and only he has the blueprint to put us back together.

Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Now, where did all that come from?

The remarkable thing about my aforementioned calendar entry is that it's the only calendar entry I have since July 20. And aside from a questionable October entry of "Suz in Philly?" and "kids in FL" the week of Thanksgiving, there is nothing else until a doctor appointment on December 17. Can you imagine that? Five months with no commitments? I can't really decide whether it's a gift or a deprivation; guess it could be either or both, depending on how you look at it.

Question of the day: Do you have a TV on board?

A: Technically, yes; we have a TV which is hooked up to an antenna (no satellite). But we've had it on maybe twice since the start of the trip. Ironically, we either don't have time to watch it or need to conserve our batteries. Or more likely, we don't think of it because we have never had a TV on the boat until this trip. I miss keeping up with world events and local news, but aside from that we hardly miss it.

If I could be granted one wish, it would be to have one of the kids join us for a week. Our son, Michael, wants to and is checking into where he might meet us. Greg (Wayne's brother) and Darlene are planning to go to New York in September to visit friends and family and, hopefully, sail with us a bit. Our niece, Melanie, is waiting in the wings, ready to meet us somewhere in September. My sister, Jodi, would be delighted if we could be in Cape Cod when they are there the end of this month. Etc. And we would love to make it all work out. But here's the deal: you're moseying along at about six or seven knots, at the mercy of the weather, with no idea beyond the next week or so when you will be where. And I have to say that's part of the beauty of this trip, the gift aspect, if you will, of five months with no commitments: no schedule. Having the freedom to stay here an extra day or two, or add a stop there, or take a side trip up this river. And that does not mesh well with the need of others to plan ahead so they can join us...the deprivation aspect.

We’ll see what we can work out. Meanwhile, it's time to put this computer down and gaze at the heavens.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, NOTHING on your calendar! Sounds luxurious, but I can imagine the bittersweet nature of it. That happens to me sometimes, but that's just because I haven't stopped long enough to write down the things I'm supposed to be remembering. Scary. Wish I could surprise you someday and meet you at a dock somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, wouldn't THAT be a treat!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.