Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Friday, March 13, 2009

3/9/09 Thunderball Grotto

Got corn?

Wayne's new best friends

Wayne got his birthday wish yesterday: for the skies to clear enough to have sunlight in Thunderball Grotto. Our cruising guide says that to snorkel here is mandatory; all we can add to that is an exclamation point. Snorkeling these caves, with sunlight streaming in and illuminating countless beautiful fish and a dramatic underground landscape, was spectacular. We brought corn to feed the fish this time and boy, did they go wild! They actually bit open the Ziploc bag that I had my corn in.I saw and photographed a lionfish: The lionfish is an invasive species which is native to the tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans and has few natural enemies to help control it in the Atlantic Ocean. It poses a major threat here to coral reefs - a new study has found that within a short period after the entry of lionfish into an area, the survival of other reef fishes is slashed by about 80 percent. They are carnivores that can eat other fish up to two-thirds their own length, while they are protected from other predators by long, poisonous spines. Lionfish are venomous; a sting from a lionfish is extremely painful to humans and can cause nausea and breathing difficulties, but is rarely fatal. Wanted posters of lionfish are posted throughout the Bahamas and anyone who sees one is encouraged to report it.

I reported my sighting to Judy at Exuma Park. I hope she followed through because Thunderball Grotto is a popular destination for snorkelers, and I would hate for someone to be stung.

We grilled steaks and I made ice cream and brownies for Wayne's birthday dinner.

2 comments:

  1. forgive me if I mised it from an earlier post-- but how do yo make ice cream aboard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a BlendTec onboard, which I use to make ice cream, and it blends anything. For some entertainment, go to http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.