Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Friday, March 13, 2009

3/11/09 - Pipe Creek

After spending days with a significant number of other cruisers, we were ready for some solitude, but where? It's a commodity that's surprisingly hard to come by, even in the Exumas. We settled on a somewhat tricky anchorage that Pat and Don had recommended - on the west side of Thomas Cay in Pipe Creek, with only one other sailboat nearby. It was a delicious break. Temperatures were warm, winds were relatively calm, skies were mostly sunny, and waters (when timed around a swift current) were gentle - near-perfect conditions that meshed with our plan to spend time in the water, snorkeling and shelling.

We didn't post to the blog, didn't take any photos, didn't talk to anyone on the VHF, didn't take any ambitious hikes, and didn't share happy hour with anyone but each other.

The shelling was nothing short of magical, and I don't know if I can even describe it. That mental picture you probably have of walking along a white, sandy, beach, picking up an occasional shell - scratch it. Imagine long expanses of sandy islands exposed by the receding tide, all previous footprints obliviated by the sea. Imagine sand dollars and sea biscuits scattered everywhere, many half-buried in sand - I felt like a kid at an Easter egg hunt. Imagine treasure hunting - and finding a 6-inch King Helmet shell... and five 4" ones. A 4" cowrie...perfection. All this experienced as sunset approaches and the tide rises, forcing us to wade knee-deep to our dinghy long before we are ready to leave.

Thanks to Pat and Don for sharing their favorite spot with us.

The snorkeling was marvelous as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hello There. Awesome is all I can say. Once again I am so thrilled with your pictures and stories. You both must be having an amazing time. I so look forward to sneaking a peak on your adventures. When it gets cold here and I feel like warming up, I just have to tune into your blog.
    Happy Birthday to Wayne, You are a pisces and are born to be on the water. I am a pices too, (my birthday is the 18th March). I just thought I would let you know that I am checking up on you guys and making sure that you are having the time of your lives.
    Enjoy. Your friend from Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we are not exactly swimming with the fishies here, but at least my drool is no longer freezing! This and Thunderball Grotto sound like the bookends to a perfect fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roberta, you are a sweetheart. Thanks so much for following along, and thanks for the birthday greetings for Wayne. Happy Birthday to you!

    Tracy - I'm so happy for you regarding that drool thing. I hear the snow is gone (at least for the moment) and spring starts in a couple days. Yea!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.