Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

A souvenir from Nova Scotia


As I mentioned in this morning's post, today we drove down the "lighthouse trail" to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburg, a beautiful, scenic drive along the southwest coast. Peggy's Cove looks like a movie set, with all the appropriate scenery and props of a fishing village set just so. I’m not convinced anyone actually lives there, but there certainly is no shortage of tourists.
At one point, Wayne pulled the car over so I could take a photo; while returning to the car, I stepped into a deep hole camouflaged with weeds, and fell. I don't know if I hit the camera or a rock, but there was lots of blood and a cut just below my lip. I stopped at a restaurant/gift shop to clean up and the proprietor gave me some ice to put on it. I looked in the mirror and realized I needed stitches, but spent the next few hours in denial with napkins pressed to my lip. Wayne noticed on the map that there was a hospital in Lunenburg, Fisherman's Memorial Hospital, and suggested we have them take a look at it. By this time I realized that I couldn't talk, smile, eat, or drink without my lip breaking open and bleeding again, so I reluctantly agreed to go. Three stitches, two hours, and one hospital bill later, we were on our way. The stitches really were necessary, so it's a good thing we took care of it.
I did get some good photos today, though; I'll upload them next time we have internet access, so do check back.


We were glad we stayed the extra day; a few more days wouldn't have been too many as far as I was concerned, but it is time to move on.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shelley and Wayne, it looks like Mary, Jacob and I might be in Massachusetts about the same time you are. We'll be visiting friends in and around Boston/Cape Cod between Sept 23 and Sept 27. Send us an email and we'll see if we can connect... we'd love to see you guys and have a look at your boat!
    Dave D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    We would absolutely love to see you guys and will try make it happen. If you can meet us on the 27th, we'll be more likely to get there in time. The 26th might work too. How flexible are you?

    Love,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.