Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do


Today is the day my sutures are supposed to be removed, and in the interest of adding a little excitement and suspense to this blog, I have decided to remove them myself. Besides...considering I don't see even a speck of land from here, much less a doctor, my options are limited. Have Wayne do it? Surely you're joking. As if I would let him get that close to me with a sharp implement after enduring my companionship 24/7 for seven and a half weeks! I bought some sharp pointy manicure scissors at PharmaSave yesterday, and I have a magnifying mirror and tweezers. Now if I could just get Wayne to make this boat stop rocking long enough to do the deed...It would be SO not funny to end up in the ER needing stitches because I accidentally stabbed myself while removing my stitches!

We caught a few hours of sleep before leaving Shelburne at 11 p.m. Sunday night. I went back to bed once we were out of the harbor and told Wayne to wake me when he needed a break, but he never did. I made the mistake of drinking coffee when we got up to leave at 11:00, so was unable to get to sleep until about 5:00 anyway, but I did sleep until 9 a.m. It has been very cold the past couple of nights, with frost warnings throughout the area. We have instrument displays in both locations, though, so it's as easy to navigate from the cabin as it is from the cockpit - especially at night when radar is necessary to "see" anyway.

An unsung savior on this trip has been our cockpit enclosure; traveling without it would have been downright miserable, even intolerable at times. It’s made up of panels that zip together and can be removed. The front part, or dodger (windshield to you landlubbers) has five panels (three on the front and one on each side) made up of special heavy duty plastic. When it's hot out, we pull the large middle one back and snap it up for air; it hasn't been necessary to remove any of the others. The middle side panels on each side are Sunbrella and can be zipped down, removed or rolled up and snapped. These are our primary "doors" for getting in and out of the boat. They block our vision somewhat when they are down and we may need to modify them later. Then there are four more panels, two on the back and one on each side rear. These are screens sewn to plastic, with plastic panels that unzip and roll down for ventilation. We also have Sunbrella panels that we can snap on to keep out the sun. The whole enclosure is covered with a roof: a dodger top, a bimini top, and a connector; they also zip together and can be removed.

Bottom line is that we are protected from the wind, rain (for the most part), bugs, and sun - a very comfortable way to travel. As the weather gets colder during the coming weeks, we will be ever more thankful to have it.

We docked in Yarmouth yesterday around 12:30. Our arrival coincided precisely with the arrival of the high speed ferry (40 mph and puts out a huge wake) from Maine, which blasted across our path to make its noon arrival. Wayne had notified Fundy Traffic of our presence, so the ferry captain knew we were there and radioed to let us know when he'd be passing and where to wait so we would be out of his way. We'll be crossing paths with the CAT again this morning.

We checked in at the restaurant that manages the dock and Wayne arranged to have some fuel delivered to the boat (no fuel pumps here). I did a couple loads of laundry and took a shower, then the two of us went for a walk around town. There was no internet access at the dock, and although we plugged in at the restaurant, we had no luck getting on there, either. Wayne and I grabbed our computers and went up to the library for awhile after dinner before going to bed early to prepare for our 2 a.m. departure fromYarmouth.

Our route today takes us from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to the Bar Harbor area of Maine. Wayne is downstairs getting some much-needed sleep.

So here we are. Another gorgeous, cloudless day. We are motoring, but that makes it easy to blog and do other things around the boat. That's as opposed to some of the more intense days of sailing and/or rough water, when it's inadvisable to be down below any more than absolutely necessary or have anything breakable (like computers) in the cockpit.

Now I will end the suspense and report that yes, I did remove my stitches, and without incident. End of story.

5 comments:

  1. Congradulations on removing your stiches-a lip is sure a bloody bleeder! Just been reading through your blogs for the last week and I think back to August 8th and can't believe your still on the boat all this time except for a few dockings. I surely don't know if I could stand my husband bossing me that long and I surely would go NUTS with only that little bit of space you've been calling your home! Now, I think we need to hear from your boss as to the relational qualities this brings out in ones life-mainly dealing with only------ his wife and the boat for so long. How does this help or hinder ones christian values--like being a servant to one another as Christ served back in His day? If he doesn't write then we can take only your word that indeed all the things you say
    about him are true! hehe Seriously I do wonder how most of us could endure-even with all the pleasures--this long of a trip and keep our sanity! Blessings on you both, keep safe, and hope the rest of the trip is as beauitful as Canada was. Paula Good(and for Jim, too who also doesn't write)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michele and Wayne,
    We just got back from MN and I was catching up on your blog.
    Sorry to hear of your bloody lip!
    Happy Anniversary!
    Glad you successfully removed your stitches!
    I never realized how absolutely beautiful Canada is. Your pictures are gorgeous. Are you doing much reading on the boat? With so much spare time now for me, I have been reading quite a lot. I just finished Kite Runner, a must read. Also enjoyed The Namesake, Memory Keeper's Daughter, and My Sister's Keeper. I started my hospice training yesterday and am very impressed with their program. I think it will be a good place to volunteer. We keep plugging away at the Lutheran church we found. Not quite sure if it is the right fit. May God continue to bless you.
    Love,
    Karen and Bob, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good questions, Paula. First of all, I don't think either one of us would have made this trip if we didn't think we could get along. After 29 years, there aren't too many surprises. Also, we're both working very hard to be good travel companions and do what we can to make the trip a positive experience. We have our moments, of course, but we get along great 99% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Karen, and I'm glad you're enjoying the photos.

    I thought I would read a lot on this trip and brought dozens of books along. But aside from travel books and cruising guides, the only book I've read on the trip is The Life Of Pi. I loved The Kite Runner and The Memory Keeper's Daughter; I'll have to check out the other two you mentioned.

    I did not know you were training to be a hospice volunteer; you'll be good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wayne,
    Just wondering how the mechanics (engine, generator, A/C) have been operating for you. Other than the seaweed, any other problems? Have you been satisfied with the generator? With all the tasks on the boat, what have you had to keep your eye on? Have you used all your sails at same time? Bill

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.