Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Calling Captain Wayne


I have asked Wayne a number of times to post a message to the blog, but he must have decided that he doesn't need to, since I've taken care of it so faithfully and, if I may say so, eloquently. It doesn't occur to him that you might want to hear from him, if only to be reassured that he is still captaining this boat. Because for all you know he could be bound and gagged and sitting in the sail locker...or in the belly of one of those big whales...or adrift off the shore of Newfoundland in the life raft...or he could have jumped overboard weeks ago, unable to endure another moment of my presence.

So I have decided to start a campaign of sorts to find out if, indeed, you care to hear from him. If you do, please add a comment at the bottom of this post. It's easy to do - just sign in and choose a password (I think). Once we have, let's see...enough comments, I will pass them on to the Captain and see if they are persuasive enough to tear him from his Important Captain Duties and spur him to respond. Come on, people, it's all up to you! I'll throw in a bonus: the person who posts the most persuasive comment, as determined by Wayne, will receive... something. Ummm...I know! A day of cruising with us, but you have to get to where we are. And we might not be able to drop you off at a convenient place, although we will make every effort to make sure it's on land. I mean the mainland, but hey! It will be worth it, really. And Wayne will be touched to know how much you care.

9 comments:

  1. cmon capn lets see what you have to say sailor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wayne, just think how good you would look in a Tartan! Let's hear from YOU! Great sailing to both of you. Did you get my email about the "fighting chair"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear brother...your wonderful wife is so outdoing you in the writing department. Come on...we all know you have the ability....let's see it! Just think...Mom would love it...I am still printing it and taking it to her weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, Bill, Bill - You say Tartan, I think plaid kilt. NOT a pretty picture AT ALL. - Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Wayne - we must hear from you. I was sure you would want to weigh in on several occasions as I've read Michele's eloquent blog - if for no other reason than to rebut some of Michele's side comments (e.g. that Michael's arrival offered the opportunity for her to rest and for you to have someone new to boss around.) Surely that merits a response??

    ReplyDelete
  6. All right! Keep those comments coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brow beat Wayne into sharing a few blogs. He simply has a different perspective to offer. It matters not how he writes nor how he feels about his writing. What he would share will be meaningful and insightful.

    I would enjoy learning what Wayne looks for when he studies the charts. What does he try to remember? How does that play into the actual sailing? You have referenced some of the challenges but to hear it from the captain would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is TIME TO HEAR FROM CAPTAIN WAYNE!!!! THIS IS YOUR WIFE'S COUSIN SPEAKING "BLOG TIME, BLOG TIME CAPTAIN WAYNE, SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE GOT"!!!! There, I put in my two-cents worth (please don't pick me, I don't do water too well).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wayne,

    You know, we women have a limited perspective. We write about the way we're feeling, and about people, relationships, all that girly stuff. Now we need the facts. Like Shelley is talking about "mooring" and dinghys and stuff like that in the middle of these ponderings, but she forgets the wonderful education you've helped her acquire that we don't have. How about a glossary, and a little sailing tutorial so we know what the heck she's trying to say to us. Interpretation please!

    And then if you want to tell us a little about how you're feeling about your trip so far, the extent to which it's living up to your expectations, your highlights and lowlights, that would reward us for being enlightened mariners.

    See? It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.