Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sounding the Conch Shell at Sunset


Every night at sunset people in the Keys gather to blow their conch horns, and last night was no exception. A group of folks from our dock assembled in front of our boat and we went out to join them, Wayne with his conch and me with my camera. I teased Wayne afterward about the size of his little conch compared to everyone else's large conch. He responded that size didn't matter, to which I responded that the performance wasn't that great, either. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)


















Conch shell blowing has been practiced in the Florida Keys for generations. Early settlers blew blasts to signal that a sinking ship had been spotted offshore, and native-born islanders are commonly called Conchs. The shell of the sea mollusk is a symbol of the island chain, also known as the Conch Republic.

Wayne is a happy sailor today, having made his run to West Marine and replaced his anchor. He also stopped to pick up an SD card reader (which I apparently left at home) so I am now able to post photos taken with the Nikon.

We've started to make the transition to island time by spending another night at Marathon. It's nice to have a leisurely day to get things done and not rush off. I've been able to get things done that would have been impossible to do in the seas we've had since leaving home. I made bread and yogurt this morning - the two items at the top of my list - and did lots of miscellaneous boat chores. I'm also trying to make the most of the strong, free wi-fi signal we have here; it may be a while before we have that again.

We're invited to another boat for happy hour, then hope to catch a seafood dinner at the restaurant. Considering our fishing skills, it may be a while before we have that again, too

1 comment:

  1. Safe travels friends. Can't wait to see all of your pictures. Have fun...Roberta

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.