Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Friday, February 27, 2009

2/27/09 - A handful of birds??


My mom scolded me again when I called her yesterday morning; for the second time she told me in no uncertain terms that she did not want me to swim with the sharks again - "And I mean it!" she said emphatically. Okay, Mom, okay - I promise I won't swim with the sharks again! - at least not on purpose. I think you'll approve of what I did yesterday, though.

High winds motivated us to move on to Warderick Wells, headquarters of the Exuma Land and Sea Park. It was a 3-hour trip from Shroud Cay, sailing and motor sailing. We radioed in at 9:00 to secure a mooring and were surprised to find that we were the only vessel requesting one; we got in at 12:30 and were assigned mooring number 8. The fee for moorings is $20 per night, but as members of the support fleet (we help support the park) we're entitled to two free nights.

We checked in, settled in, then took the dinghy in to explore. Our first trek was over a rugged and pitted black limestone path up to Boo-Boo Hill, where people leave driftwood signs with their boats' names. From that vantage point we were treated to a superb panoramic view of the area.Returning to the beach where we left our dinghy anchored, the sight of two young women feeding birds from their hands as a young man looked on, drew our attention. We wandered over to watch and find out what they were feeding the birds. When they offered us sugar we asked if it was okay, because there are strict rules in this park and one of them is to not feed the critters. We eagerly joined in, but I later asked Judy (park manager) what kind of birds they are and confirmed that it is okay to feed them. She told me they are Bananaquits (nickname: sugar bird) and yes, they are the only birds the park bird guy has given them permission to feed; there is sugar in a container outside the park office that visitors can feed to them.

Well, tell me no more and give me some more of that sugar! I could have fed and watched them all day; we even came back this morning:
This afternoon we went snorkeling off Emerald Rock; what's one of the first things I see when I get in the water? A Lemon Shark.
Believe it or not, as many times as I've snorkeled and scuba dived, prior to this trip I have only seen a shark once before. Sorry, Mom - I didn't do it on purpose this time.

1 comment:

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.