Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

2/21/09 - Michele snorkels with sharks!

After a night anchored off Highborne Cay, we decided to check in to the marina this morning, visit the beach on the Atlantic side (where it's too rough, rocky, and shallow to dinghy in), and avail ourselves of their wi-fi service for $10 a day (which seems to be the going rate down here).

After our beach walk, I took Emma for a walk around the marina and down the dock. When we got to the end of the dock at the entrance to the marina, we looked in the water and were startled to see about a dozen nurse sharks swimming about and lying in the sand right below us. Of course I had to go back to the boat and get my camera. After watching and taking photos for a while, I knew I just had to do it. I had to snorkel with the sharks.

I stopped at the office to ask Barbara if it would be ok. "You really want to do that? Well, people do it," she said. "Just be sure to get out of there if anyone is on the dock cleaning fish."

I returned to the boat, grabbed my snorkeling stuff and underwater camera, and told Wayne what my intentions were. He followed along with the other camera, uncertain, I think, that this was a good idea.What a rush! The sharks were mildly curious and some came to check me out; one even nudged me with his nose, which freaked me out a bit and caused me to flee momentarily; I had to do this a couple times when they came much too close. I could have easily touched them. Some were about eight feet long and I was told that a couple of them were Lemon Sharks. It was an awesome experience, one I will never forget.Actually, I did it for you. This blog has been too boring and I had to come up with something to spice it up a little.

After we docked, we were met at our slip by Joe, the owner of Cool Runner's Catering Service, who told us about his Saturday night all-you-can-eat buffet served right here at the marina. Except for some conch fritters, we hadn't tried any Bahamian food yet and this was a great way to do it. I can especially recommend the conch chowder - it was delicious. We dined and conversed with two couples who've been cruising together on their respective boats, and a mother and adult son who came in on an 80+ foot yacht with a staff of three. By the way, Cool Runner will deliver food right to your boat.

P.S. Belated Happy Birthday, Robin!

6 comments:

  1. Holy buckets! You ARE brave! I'm just a little jealous. If it were dolphins, I'd be REALLY jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I didn't know you could snorkel with the sharks--man, you are really getting brave-I think this sailing is really becoming "you". Thanks for letting us in on your story-very fun!!!Paula Good-Jim says Hi also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...swimming with sharks! Not for me...great pictures though. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Michele: Your stories and photos (and bravery!) are fabulous. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for calling this a.m. We do hope to catch up with you tomorrow. Safe sails! Debbie/Charmed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! The sharks are way way cool. We don't think we will ever see them, much less swim with them. WOW!

    I love you and enjoy reading about your trip.

    Love,
    Alex & Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I really brave? or just a little crazy? The jury is still out on that, but regardless, thank you everyone for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.