Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Friday, November 2, 2007

Setting the record straight


I received an interesting email from a friend commenting on Wayne's post from yesterday. Here is an excerpt: "...A fascinating juxtaposition of your blog from the day before and his today. You wrote of the tumult and Wayne begins simply "Well after a great day in the Atlantic..." what a contrast. When I finished your blog with the image of you curled up on your bed and Gary off somewhere fighting being green, I wondered how the captain fared. I learned today in his blog and clearly he fared well..."

All three of us roared with laughter when we read the part about the Captain faring well. There's no way Gary and I are about to let Wayne get away with leaving that impression, so here he is with clarification:

Captain Wayne: Oops! I was laughing as well! The "great day" in my post was intended to refer only to the distance we covered that day. The ride was as uncomfortable as any I have been on. The waves were steep and coming from several directions. They were actually piling into heaps most of the day. Gary called them "hay stackers,” which is a great description. The wind was so close off the stern that sails did not help the motion. I hope we can avoid more of these. At least we were nice and secure in our Island Packet even if we were all a little "green."

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.