Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

A rough day


Wed., Oct. 31 - It was one of those days where you just pray to make it to the anchorage, as quickly as possible and without throwing up. We avoided the hazards of the ICW in this section and made twice the distance (101 nm) we would have otherwise, but it wasn't a freebie. Eight to ten foot waves (some higher) in the Atlantic left us all feeling pretty green around the gills - especially Gary, who unlike us, doesn't have three months of getting used to it under his belt. He and I slept as much as possible, which is about all you can do to get through it.

We left the marina at 4 a.m. I went around and made sure everything was secure, then did it again after we got out in the ocean and the second tier of stuff went flying around the cabin. But today was a three-tier day: stuff that had only gone flying a couple times on the trip went flying again today.

With an extra guy on board, they didn't really need me, so I was able to take care of myself. Sleeping in the cockpit was next to impossible without being strapped in because it was so rough, so I went downstairs. To keep from rolling, I laid across the mattress at the head of the bed with pillows between me and the cabin wall to cushion myself from being thrown against it. On my other side, I put a rolled-up quilt stuffed with pillows. It was still pretty hard to sleep, but at least I was relatively safe and comfortable.
I don't think we saw a single other boat out there; few boats can handle the conditions we had, and there are, arguably, none better than the Island Packet.

We anchored off St. Simon’s Island, Georgia in time to have an early dinner. We were all in bed by 8:00.
It feels good to be in the calm and security of the ICW again today, and the view is better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.