Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Minutes away


Here I am with up-to-the-minute, late breaking news... I can’t believe I just missed our turn off the rim canal! I handed the helm over to Wayne and he is turning us around to head down the second to last canal before home. We'll be docking BEHIND OUR HOUSE within ten minutes. Now let's see if any of our neighbors have wi-fi...

As we glided through Charlotte Harbor, approaching Ponce de Leon inlet which takes us into Punta Gorda Isles, a couple of neighbors called us and said, “Don’t come in yet! The tide is too low and you’ll go aground!” Hmm, let’s think about that for a minute: We are half an hour away from completing a 109 day, 5000 mile trip and we’re going to stop and wait who-knows-how-long for the tide to come in? I don’t think so! In a final act of defiance, determination, and faith, we plowed our way through the inlet, churning up the sand as we dredged our way through the shallows.

2 comments:

  1. I am anxious to see a picture of Lena Bea in the canal at your house in Punta Gorda! "Welcome Home!"

    Love,
    Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here ya go, Ricki...

    Love,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.