Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Uh-oh!


We were twenty minutes from Beaufort, North Carolina and I was taking a quick shower when all of a sudden, thud! The boat stopped abruptly and the first thought that came to mind was, "Why did he slam on the brakes?" The second thought was, "Oh. The boat doesn't have any brakes. So what made it stop so abruptly?" I grabbed a towel and ran to see what was going on, only to find a very irate Captain...who had just run aground. Again. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Just call Tow BoatUS." Wayne did not appreciate the suggestion, so I made myself scarce while he figured out what to do. Before long I felt us moving again - he had wiggled and finessed the boat free with the help of the engine and the rising tide. However, because of the shallow water, we were forced to take a detour of an hour and a half to get to the Beaufort Docks Marina, where we docked for two nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.