Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Thursday, October 4, 2007

More Q & A


Q: "Yes Wayne - we must hear from you. I was sure you would want to weigh in on several occasions as I've read Michele's eloquent blog - if for no other reason than to rebut some of Michele's side comments (e.g. that Michael's arrival offered the opportunity for her to rest and for you to have someone new to boss around.) Surely that merits a response??"

Wayne: Just call me Captain Bligh! I know Michele's comments are mostly tongue in cheek, but since it is just the two of us, we must work together for many things that require (or at least are a lot easier with) two people, such as docking. When Michael was here, Michele could relax more or sleep in while Michael helped, or we could divide the duties among the three of us.

Michele: Besides, I didn't want to deprive Michael of all the fun! He's like his dad and loves to sail.
Michael and I have both learned that Wayne is not really "bossing us around." It's just that he's in charge, knows what needs to be done, and has to communicate that to us so we can help. I must say, though, that I am learning the ropes (sorry!) on this trip. He doesn't need to “boss me around” nearly as much as he did at the beginning.

Q: "I think we need to hear from Wayne as to the relational qualities this brings out in one's life - mainly dealing with only his wife and the boat for so long. How does this help or hinder one's Christian values - like being servants to one another as Christ served back in His day?"

Wayne: In many ways, we have learned to work better together in handling the boat and necessary chores. We also take turns on watch, so we both get free time to read, nap, work on the blog, email, plan our route, study the next locations we are going to visit, etc. Our Christian values certainly help in our relationship. We do respect and appreciate what the other contributes, and often help/serve each other.

Michele: We’re a normal couple and have our less than pleasant moments, but they are thankfully few, and usually happen when we’re tired or frustrated. When you know you’re going to be together 24/7 for 3-4 months and are taking the trip of a lifetime, you want it to be an enjoyable experience and have great memories of it when it's over. That does not happen by accident. We have both put a lot of effort into making it a pleasant and enjoyable trip for the other. For instance, although I love being a passenger on the boat, Wayne enjoys all the mechanics of sailing more than I do. He is very sensitive to that, which I appreciate, and doesn’t demand a lot of "heavy lifting" from me, although I help out as needed.
It's really no different from marriage in general, in that it requires give and take on both sides to make it work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.