Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Captain answers some questions


"Brow beat Wayne into sharing a few blogs. He simply has a different perspective to offer. What he would share will be meaningful and insightful."

Michele: Um, excuse me? And what makes you think I'm even capable of "brow beating" my husband? I do have my powers of persuasion, though, so here goes:

Q: "I would enjoy learning what Wayne looks for when he studies the charts. What does he try to remember? How does that play into the actual sailing? You have referenced some of the challenges but to hear it from the captain would be great."

Wayne: I look for hazards to navigation such as shallow water, rocks, and strong currents. I use the charts to plan the routes and use the aids to navigation such as buoys, markers, lights, tall structures on land, islands, etc. I take mental note of hazards and usually stay well clear unless we must pass closer to go through a channel. This allows us to relax more.

When approaching a harbor or channel, I study the charts ahead of time to know what to expect. I enter information into the chart plotter so compass headings are readily available to provide headings. I always identify buoys ahead as much as possible. Often both of us will look for the channel buoys/markers in difficult areas. Binoculars are an essential tool to help locate buoys ahead.

Another challenge is entering a strange marina and trying to locate a slip, then being ready to dock in a tight area with currents and wind.

Michele: Wayne is extremely cautious and an expert sailor/navigator/pilot. Sure makes life on the water less stressful for me!

Q: "Just wondering how the mechanics (engine, generator, A/C) have been operating for you. Other than the seaweed, any other problems? Have you been satisfied with the generator? With all the tasks on the boat, what have you had to keep your eye on? Have you used all your sails at the same time?"

Wayne: The mechanics have been great (except for that seaweed issue). I already have 430 hours on the engine! It has performed extremely well, and has provided plenty of additional power on a few occasions when needed to fight 5 knot currents and strong winds.

I did have a few problems with the air conditioner water pump not working until I lowered the raw water strainer to keep it below the intake water level.

The generator has been great. We only have about 30 hours on it, but it has worked perfectly since I replaced the damaged heat exchanger before leaving Bayfield.

The other problem we had was an intermittent battery charger that completely stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Island Packet sent a new charger - covered by warranty - to the Summit North Marina where we will be the next couple of days (what great service!).

I keep a close eye on the Racor filters (a pre-engine fuel filter and water separator), and had to drain water from them 3 times in the first couple of weeks, but there have been no problems since then. I believe it was due to condensation in the near empty fuel tank over a couple of winters.

In addition to scheduled maintenance, I routinely check for leaks, water and oil levels, nuts and pins that may loosen, etc. All the electronics have worked great except the hailer on the ICOM 504 VHF (Michele wrote about this on one of her posts from Maine), which I have not had time to figure out.
I have had the main, genoa, and stay sails all up on a couple of occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.