Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Even a boat needs to be cleaned


Sept. 23 - On this trip, Wayne is almost always up in the morning before me. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I don't get up easily before 7:00; 7:30 or even 8:00 is more my natural rhythm. Since most days have started around 6:00, if not earlier, it has been a struggle for (poor, poor) me, but it takes two of us to get away from the dock and I don't complain.

This morning I heard Wayne get up and asked him if it was foggy. Thankfully, it wasn’t. I then dozed as he went about his normal routine of making coffee, checking the weather, and doing final course plotting for the day. It wasn't necessary this morning, but if it's cold in the cabin - under 50 degrees - Wayne will turn on the heat to make it easier for me to get out of bed. What a guy! This morning I was even less eager than normal to get moving and decided to wait until he came and woke me. When I awoke it was 8:00 and we were well underway. Since we were moored and it was calm, he didn't need me and let me sleep. That felt like a luxury.

The extra sleep and the sunny skies energized me enough to clean the inside of the boat. We keep things tidy for the most part, and I clean the galley and heads (kitchen and bathroom to you landlubbers) regularly, but I had only dusted once and, aside from an occasional blitz with the hand vac, I hadn't cleaned the floor - yuck! My cleaning frenzy inspired Wayne and he went to work on the cockpit. It feels good to have a clean boat.

Yesterday I wore my winter down jacket much of the day; today I wore a tank top. What a difference a day can make!

We had some great sailing and anchored in Rockport, Massachusetts on the tip of Cape Ann at around 5:30. We took the dinghy in to town and were blown away by the quaintness of this old New England port town. Really cute little shops and galleries and photo ops left and right. I knew immediately that I wanted to stay tomorrow as well and Wayne agreed with me, but it will require an adjustment to our itinerary. We'll figure it out in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.