Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Needing a boat break

We've been cruising for a week now (covered about 650 nautical miles) and are settling into a routine, establishing a rhythm, developing a synergy. It feels right; Wayne and I are a good team - we both know what needs to be done and do it. Life is good.

Yesterday I was in kind of a blue funk, though - just couldn't figure out why. We by-passed two little towns on the St. Clair River that I would have liked to have stopped at for the night, and instead anchored in mud and weeds just offshore of a party town on Lake St. Clair, north of Detroit. I don't know what time it was when all the power boats roared by, but I have an ugly suspicion that it was shortly after last call.

It dawned on me that I need a leisurely boat break. I like to walk, sightsee, browse through little shops, that sort of thing, and we've done virtually none of it. That's by choice, of course (although I really did want to stop yesterday); we're sacrificing stops now for more desirable destinations later on when there's more to see and do. Pacing ourselves is tricky. My tendency is to enjoy the here and now. Wayne is good about letting me call the shots, but keeps us on track by balancing my tendency with his own of looking ahead and driving hard when the situation calls for it. And I do agree with him most of the time. Yeah, we're a pretty good team.

If you have suggestions of good places to stop along our route, we'd appreciate hearing about them. You can either add a comment at the end of this post or email us. Normally we'd go online to get such information, but that's obviously not possible most of the time.

Tonight and tomorrow should give me the break I need: we'll be docking at an island, Put-In Bay Marina on Lake Erie, which is supposed to be a nice destination. Better than that, though, is our destination on Sunday - our friends John and Diane's home in Vermilion, Ohio, where they have a dock waiting for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.