Welcome to the cruising blog of Wayne and Michele Sharp!

If you want to learn a little bit about cruising, satisfy your curiosity, live vicariously, or be entertained, I think you've come to the right place.

Feel free to ask questions or post comments in the comment section of each post; I will respond to all of them. You can also email us at reluctantsailor@me.com.

We've written a book based on the blog from our first journey in 2007 - Adventures of a Once Reluctant Sailor: A Journey of Guts, Growth, and Grace. It is available online from my website at reluctantsailor.net, and from Apostle Islands Booksellers, Copperfish Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Your local bookstore can also order it for you. We've included over 170 color and black and white photos.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Random impressions, observations, and thoughts


It’s our first night out and it couldn't be a more glorious sendoff evening. I had dinner ready before Wayne dropped the anchor: lemon pepper chicken, corn, and a bottle of chardonnay. The water is still and there's hardly a breeze. Stockton Island is a popular spot to anchor and camp, so I hear faint sounds of laughter, conversation, music, singing, and even the occasional sound of a fish breaking the surface of the water. I see the flicker of campfires and wafts of smoke from the island. I smell the subtle aroma of pine burning, a delicious blend of campfire and Christmas. Everything is tuned to just the right pitch, not so overpowering as to offend my senses. The moon is full and the sunset is so spectacular that I keep putting my computer down to grab my camera.

This is what I like most about sailing.

Thank you, God, for the bon voyage party. It's a good omen, don't you think? I envision God smiling and nodding his approval...for our timing and for trusting him enough to make this trip. I imagine his joy...at the adventure before us and the joy we will experience as we become intimate with his creation.

Random thoughts: I will miss the Apostle Islands. I will miss the town of Bayfield. I will miss the people at Port Superior and Pike's Bay. Who knows if we will ever sail these waters again? I look at the water and think, "We sure will be seeing a lot of this the next three months." I wonder how Brian is doing with his chemo and radiation treatments. I wonder if our Sea Bands will really keep us from getting seasick. And I sure hope there's nothing to that superstition about it being unlucky to leave on a Friday.

Wayne's down below calculating whether we need to leave at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. to get to Houghton before the bridge closes tomorrow evening. With that thought, it's time to shut down the computer and get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and respond to comments and questions.